Well this post may be a TMI post, if you feel that way then my suggestion would be to not read it :) So the last month and a half I have been having and experiencing a lot of the symptoms of Pubic Symphysis...as far as I understand it is a little cartilage or ligament that connects your pubic bone to whatever ( I need to brush up on my anatomy again) anyways when you get prego sometimes you get too much relaxin hormone and it relaxes too much...the issue that you have is when you actually deliver the baby it can break or snap if you don't have your legs placed properly. The symptoms consist of a lot of pain when walking, rolling over in bed, getting dressed, walking up and down stairs...check check check. I go to the doctor tomorrow and I'm going to talk to him about it and see what he thinks. This actually happened to my mom when I was born. They didn't know she was having a dysfunction until my big head came out and she was crippled for a few months after not super fun, since I broke hers. Well the things that doctors recommend is not getting an epidural during delivery so you can be in possible different positions and so you can feel if your legs are getting pushed too high to help avoid breaking the ligament, or c-section, but who honestly wants surgery if you don't need to have it? SO...I have been thinking about it, about not getting an epidural...I had a fine experience with Linnea and the epidural, it made me sick, but I was pain free. I went awhile without medication last time, but I do know it hurts so I have some fear about the "real" pain of actually getting the baby out. I feel though that it would be worth it to avoid not being able to walk for 3 months after, although it still is no gurantee since my mom had me natural and hers still broke (of course they didn't know about it beforehand). I have started my mental game to overcome a lot of my fears because I KNOW that if I mentally am thinking well if it hurts too much I'll just get an epidural, then I'll get the epidural cause thats what I did last time. I've talked to Derek and explained how if I did it natural there is no sleeping and hanging off to the side for him he needs to be right there helping keep my mind off things. I have a great video from a nurse who works with natural delivery, I got it when I was pregnant with Linnea and she talks about all sorts of different techniques and options, but especially focuses on the Dad's part in helping with pain management. I have had some wonderful cousins give birth without pain medication...so any advice would be appreciated. I am interested to know what the Doctor will say about the whole situation tomorrow.
Tuesday, February 22, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
I have tons of books and information on natural childbirth. I'd be happy to lend them to you. Personally, I think it's awesome and I know you could do it. I don't know much about the pubic symphysis problem, but I'd be happy to help you get ready for a natural delivery.
Did you do a natural delivery, I didn't even know that. That would be awesome for some help
Stubborn big headed children can cause you to go...
"hmmmmm!"
You can do anything you want to hunny, you've always been STRONG and COURAGEOUS!!!
Girl Friend- go natural! I only know what I experienced, and I was lucky enough to have a pretty dang quick labor, so that definitely made it easier to go natural. I read Hypnobirthing to help mentally prepare me and strongly recommend it. My sis-in-law has it now or i'd let u borrow it (i ordered it on amazon for $7 though if you want to do the same). Also, I can burn you the CD's that go with it.
I felt that I was able to know how to push when I needed to push (vs. when the RN or DR thought I should) and you feel so good after (no nausea and you can walk!)
Here's the thing, I was all gung ho about going natural, and when I got there, I totally didn't think I could do it as the contractions got stronger- so that's where your hubby comes in. Taylor helped me stick to my goal and get through it. It's all MENTAL! You can do it! (And pray a lot too... and visualize how you want it to go, write it down, etc... sounds weird but it helps!)
But honestly, the sensation you feel, I don't know how you'd know what to do differently with the Pubic Symphisis?? Like it just all hurts down there, ask the DR about it.
Also, I wanted to look into a Doula and my friend told me there are Doula's who are needing to get there hours in and volunteer for free- Taylor was great, but my delivery nurse was the one who saved me, I just lucked out that I got a good one, but for my next I think a Doula would help a lot!!
Whatever you do you'll be great and everyone will support! C-section is the only guarantee though:) good luck with the decision on delivery!!
sorry- didn't realize I wrote so much:)
I think that if the doc gives you the thumbs up and can give you a plan to go natural without breaking anything and crippling yourself, go natural. You will feel like zeena, warrior princess ;). It's an amazingly powerful and intensely special experience. Over all, do what will be vest for your baby. If having the fear of breaking something and dealing with the intense pain will cause serious anxiety, it will cause distress to your little guy too. Listen to your doctor, tell Jim your fears and what you really want. You will do just fine either way :). Xo
Post a Comment