Followers

Love Birds

Love Birds

Linnea

Linnea

Andrew

Andrew

Our Family!

Our Family!

Friday, July 15, 2011

Some recipes

Okay so as we've been trying to eat better here are two things that I think have turned out to our liking the first one is just my made up thing. It started with a night of getting down to the bare minimum of our groceries and trying to make it stretch. Well it turned out to be super yummy and filling and low calorie. Derek actually asks for it all the time. It'll probably be the easiest cheapest meal you can make that is pretty good for you. So anyways...

three cans of whatever beans ( I like black, kidney, and white)
some steamed brown whole grain rice
homemade or bought salsa
some cheese

so obviously there are no measurements just whatever looks good to me. So throw it all in a skillet and heat it up and mix it together. Get some corn chips or tortillas and there you go! It doesn't sound like much but it actually tastes great together and I get full on one serving cause of all the beans. Super yummy! you can even top with lettuce and make a little salad out of it!

Okay I tried the black bean brownies and I have to say I was pleasently surprised. Linnea kept asking for more, Derek said they were good, they had a different texture, but he said he couldn't tell there were beans in them so here is that recipe if you dare to try

1 can black beans
3 eggs
3 T veg oil (or applesauce if you want it healthier)
1/4 c cocoa powder
1 pinch salt
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 c sugar
1/2 c chocolate chips (optional)

preheat oven to 350 degrees, combine beans, eggs, oil, cocoa, salt, vanilla, and sugar in blender. Blend together. Pour into 8 x 8 pan and top with chocolate chips if you want. Bake until top is dry and edges start to pull away from the sides about 30 minutes. I put a little powdered sugar on top at the end and we enjoyed them! They are dairy and gluten free for anyone who has allergies. I told my mom so we'll see if she braves them :) Tomorrow I'm making a low cal garlic chicken so it's a meat recipe we'll see how it turns out. It's kind of fun finding fun healthy recipes and having them turn out to be something my family actually really enjoys!

1 comments:

Andrea said...

Thanks Em! I'm going to a BBQ in a few weeks and one of the ladies has to have gluten free and obviously I'm trying to eat a little healthier, too, so I think I'll try the brownies to take. I love new recipes!