Well Derek and I have decided to make some changes in our lives. Healthier changes. Now once upon a time after I had Linnea I was a health nut, very close to being almost a vegan, not for weird reasons, just health. I would have milk from time to time or some eggs, but for the most part I was basically eating plant food. And to be honest I had never felt better in my life! I had so much energy and I lost 60 POUNDS!!!! I have, like a lot of girls, had self-esteem issues that have been there since middle school, and after I lost that weight I actually after years would look in the mirror and liked what I saw...that may sound vain, but it wasn't in a vain way I just felt good and happy all around. So anyways once I started my school program the vending machines became much more tempting and I was sitting most of the day, so I put on a few more pounds, not a horrific amount but about 7 or so and then I got pregnant with sweet little Andrew and all discipline was gone. So here I am again....I know everyone keeps telling me o you just had a baby it's fine. But I can't tell you how frustrating it is to not fit in any of my summer clothes, so anyways without whining too much about baby weight, Derek and I have made some decisions. We are not vegetarians, we both like our meat, but we have decided to decrease our meals with meat in them and increase our plant food intake. So four nights out of the week we have meatless meals, and the other three we'll have chicken or something like that. We have a roast that we'll have on Sunday, but that's about it. I've been doing the bountiful basket co-op for over a year now, and I have made a goal to seriously make sure I use ALL my produce from that basket. I want to make some changes for my family. Linnea is a big sugar holic which is fine, but I also want her and Drew to understand as they grow up what the healthy choices in food are. We did a family home evening last monday on healthy eating to kick start our little family journey. My sister and her family have given us a lot of inspiration. Katie and Eric have truly made some drastic changes in their lives and I hearing how it affects little Sammy, so I know he'll understand what is healthy and I want that for our kids also. Last night we made a black bean bake with some rice...you wouldn't even notice that it didn't have meat in the tortillas! The beans fill you us almost better. Derek has a co-worker that uses beans in their desserts in place of the fat. Derek tried some cookies and he said you wouldn't even know it. I found a recipe for black bean brownies which is the same concept so we'll see how they turn out!!! I've done a lifestyle change before, but I hope this time it sticks, because now my husband is involved, granted Derek has a sweet tooth, but he is trying to take apples and carrots now to work instead of chips and cookies. So wish us luck. I think changing your eating habits is one of the hardest things to do, at least for me!!!
If anyone feels maybe they want to try some meatless meals, I've found some great resources for recipes so let me know!
Wednesday, July 6, 2011
Our new mission
Posted by Emily at 10:14 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Good for you! We have been trying to eat healthier too. Instead of ground beef we have been eating ground turkey.
That's awesome Em! I was wondering if you could e-mail some recipes to aubreejo_2@hotmail.com. I miss you so much! YOur kids are growing up so fast and they are darling!
I have Jessica Seinfeld's cookbook about sneaking veggies into desserts to make them healthier, and those are some of the best desserts EVER. Who knew beets would taste good in a chocolate cake?
So excited you are doing the weight loss challenge with us! Now we can both be on the same page for once! :)
we want in! post all your recipes you end up liking and I'll try them out too!!
Post a Comment