I was thinking the other day how different it really is from being a first time mom to now a third go around with baby!
When Linnea was born I felt I was a natural at a few things...but not many. I was so nervous to bathe her, I needed to have someone else there so they could help me get her out of the tub and hold the towel or something. I checked on her constantly in the night to make sure she was alive and breathing, feeding was confusing, frustrating and new to me, I am not lying I swear I called the pediatrician's office at least once a week if not more to just make sure this new "behavior" was normal and my child didn't have some mysterious disorder :) I sat in the back seat of the car whenever possible to make sure there was absolutely no crying, I kept looking to the next stage and kept hoping that the sleepless nights would end. I thought I was tired...even though I was able to sleep in the day whenever Linnea slept. I sanitized everything, if another child was near I was nervous, I made everyone wash their hands...and then sanitize again. Oh my gosh and the first time she got a cold I was a nervous wreck my calls to the doctor went from 1 time a week to 1 time a day it seemed like.
Now I've noticed some distinct changes in myself and learning with Linnea, Drew and now Jarom. I only make sure my kids wash their hands before they touch him...because let's face it who knows where those little hands have been. I figure most adults are courteous enough to know that they have dirty hands and they will wash them themselves before asking to hold your baby, also if they have been around illness or are sick themselves again most adults are courteous enough to stay away, there are the few out there that you still need to ask. I do not schedule Jarom or wake him up at night and I don't worry about him being alive :) (he does snort a lot while he sleeps so that helps me know he's still with us) I have not called the pediatrician once since he has been born, I'm a pro at popping him in the tub, wrapping him up in a towel by myself in my lap and moving on. Crying babies do not bother me in the car anymore, after about two hours yeah I'll get anxious. Jarom already has a booger nose thanks to his siblings and he's just fine, we use our little nose sucker and he hates it, but he's just fine. Most of all though I have found I truly realize how fast the time does fly with these little kiddos, I can honestly say I've been enjoying every second of the newborn phase...and yes that includes the middle of the night and the waking up early because his brother and sister refuse to sleep in. I get cranky, I'm not super mom, but I have never found myself looking forward to a year from now so I'll have a more independent child, or I'll be done nursing or he'll be sleeping through the night. If I've learned one thing from first child to third...it's to not rush their lives...don't wish them to grow up...I look forward to him walking, playing baseball etc, but I'm not wishing for this stage of his life to be over...the same goes for my other two littles. Drew is a pill, but I love how he still wants me to cuddle him and read to him and sing to him. Linnea can be sassy, but I love how she wants to rush to me and tell me EVERYTHING that she is thinking, or I love that she still comes to me with her 200 questions everyday about everything. I love that I'm still number one in their lives. I remember growing up and I remember when parents take the back burner in a teen's life and then after that it's some guy or girl comes along and then we'll just be there for support and advice.
Thursday, July 18, 2013
First Time vs. Third time
Posted by Emily at 7:16 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



0 comments:
Post a Comment