Ok so we finally got Linnea a click on toilet seat since she has shown absoulutely no interest in the big toilet, I'm hoping this helps. I got her to sit on the seat three times now and we have a little kid "going to the potty" book. I don't think Linnea knows what peeing is to tell you the truth. She still doesn't really seem like she wants to go potty, but since I'll be on Christmas break for a few weeks I was kind of hoping to maybe start trying because I won't be able to try again until I graduate (since I don't feel like a babysitter should potty train my kid) and at that time we're going to have a newborn...but whatever we'll try it. I have NO idea what I'm doing though. I gave her a little treat for sitting on the toilet for two minutes, I'm not sure how to teach her what peeing is though. I've thought of buying panties and just letting her wear those so when she had an accident I could tell her that is pee and hopefully she would want to go to the bathroom, or should I get pull ups....what....so mommies or anyone who has insight I would love to learn how to potty train. I understand that it will be pointless if she has no desire, but we are really trying to introduce her to the bathroom so hopefully since she gets rewards maybe it'll be some motivation, but tips will be welcome!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
If you check my blog you'll see that I'm a failure at the potty-training thing at this point but I thought I'd pass on what my brother told me (a little easier to do with one kid vs. two like me). His neighbor had their kid sit on the potty and they gave the kid hot chocolate to drink, lots of it. They used hot chocolate cause of course the kid will like it (SUGAR!!) and it is warm and apparently that goes thru you faster. Anyway, they sat there on the potty, brought in some books and just hung out there so the child would go pee multiple times so they'd learn what pee is and the sensation of it. My kids are too ADD to sit there, though, and they encourage each other to get up and do this and do that. Good luck. If you find the magic answer please share!
Emily, I have trained a lot of kids...always as the babysitter...and I have a few words of advice:
1: skip the pull-ups unless you're travelling or they have night time issues. They are just diapers that are much more difficult to change and more expensive. So, stick to underwear...you can even put on a pair of underwear and then a diaper over that if you're afraid of messes...just until she learns the feeling of wetness...if you're on top of checking for wetness.
2: Never point out that the loud noise of the toilet flushing could be scary, just show her how to do it as if nothing is too cool or too scary. I've learned that making a big deal out of it either scares them or causes them to flush OTHER things down the toilet.
3: Be VIGILANT. Once you start, just keep with it. It will be exhausting, but practice makes perfect. And don't get upset with her for accidents...because then she'll resent it. I like the hot cocoa idea...if she'll sit there.
Good luck!
Post a Comment