Ok...I need to vent out something...Linnea doesn't eat. It hasn't bothered me so much until the last couple of days...she won't eat anyting. She throws the food no matter what I seem to do. She used to eat bananas and peanut butter sandwhiches...now just like everything else they are on the floor too. Mandarin organges seemed to be a hit, but today she didn't want them. I'm trying to find a pattern, I have obviously found that fruit is her favorite, but today it seemed like she just had no interest in eating. She drinks whole milk just fine, but talk about not getting a variety of nutrients. I ignore her when she eats and pretend like I'm doing something else. At times she will throw her food then get bored with that then start eating again, but tonight was the worst she would throw it then bang her hands on her tray and just not have any interest in eating at all. So we took a break I put her in the tub we had fun then we went out and tried again, but I ended up putting her broccoli and rice on a cheese tortilla to see if she would be more interested and she was...for about 3 bites then it was just sitting with a bored look on her face wondering why she had to sit in her little seat. I have tried feeding her myself, she lets me sometimes, but then other times she locks her jaw and tries to move away. She also, to make matters even better, learned how to spit out her food, so when I actually get a piece in her mouth she sticks out her tongue and lets it fall. At her last doctors appointment she had gone down in weight a little bit, this is when this all happened, so they told me to add fat to her diet, butter and ice cream...what all the things i never want to get my kids hooked on. but I listened to the doctor and tried and it just has gone down hill. I've decided even if she is small I don't want to sacrifice her health by feeding her processed junk food, so I decided to be happy that she wanted fruit and yogurt more than anything else, but now that that is ending up on the floor I'm lost. I called the nurse today and told them she acts healthy, happy, and just fine and I told them she drinks milk and water just fine, just doesn't seem interested in food. They told me by the time she's 14 months old and if she's still doing it they need to see her, then she said that at least the whole milk will give her fat...I'm sorry but 14 months old is a month away I know that having Linnea on a whole milk diet for a month is totally lacking in nutrients she needs. I've been told that this is a stage, but it doesn't make it better. How do you sit and watch your child eat maybe 50 calories in 14 hours make you feel good, cause it's a "Stage". I've been debating on pureeing food and having her drink it I read that sometimes people do that. Sorry to go on, but it's frustrating and scary. She has a stuffy nose and cold right now, I don't know if maybe she has a sore throat or just doesn't feel like eating today if that is why today has been the worst eating day or what. I'm just praying it gets better, she's already a skinny girl, thats just fine, but I don't want her to lose the nutrients she needs. Stress stress...
Wednesday, January 6, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Oh, I totally understand that one. My little Dylan won't eat much either. I try not to compare him to his brother but I can't get Dylan to eat and I can't get Charlie to stop eating. My mom keeps saying "they'll eat when they're hungry" but I do feel bad when all I can get him to eat is a better cheddar cracker. What about string cheese? Does she like that? My boys eat a lot of that, yogurt, grapes, melted cheese/turkey sandwiches, oatmeal, and bananas. They also like most pastas with a little sauce of some sort on them cause they can feed themselves that. I feel your pain though...I'm right there with ya. Good luck little mommy!
I didn't know what stress was until I had my baby too. Don't worry she will eat when she needs too, but it is a bit worrisome for the mom. I know, I knwo.
I'm SO not an expert but... Mikaela and Mia were HORRIBLE eaters. I came to the conclusion that (for MIa) she was drinking her calories through milk and thus not getting hungry enough to eat a meal. I decided to give her water in her sippy cup and give her small snacks between meals but not too much... I needed to make sure she was really hungry so she would eat what I put in front of her. Put one thing in front of her (most protein/fat rich thing like scrambled egg, wheat toast with both sides buttered, etc) in small quantities at a time and don't give her anything else until she finishes that small quantity of food and then give her either more of that thing if she loved it, or try another single item. I hope this helps. Give her the milk only after she eats something good so that she doesn't rely on the calories from just the milk. Remember that it takes 12 try's of a food for the baby to finally take it. Time, patience, and a lot of worrying is what motherhood is all about baby! good luck!
Post a Comment